On Oct 23, 8:36 am, Stathis Papaioannou <stath...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Oct 23, 2011, at 6:23 AM, John Mikes <jami...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > It may well be. I am still at a loss how the physical (electrical) or
> > tissue measurements can explain mental effects (incl. consciousness, free
> > will, emotions etc. as they occur. The "hard problem" is still hard.
>
> It is still hard but *nothing* would offer a satisfactory explanation. If you
> say the explanation for consciousness is x someone can still ask, But why
> should x be associated with consciousness?

Multisense Realism offers a satisfactory explanation. It includes the
realization that limits of a particular subject's frame of reference
define the nature of the separation between mind and matter. The
separation is the 'illusion' which arises from our particular range of
experience as human beings. Our awareness itself is the separator. The
hard problem arises out of mistaking high level multisense awareness
with low level object mechanics. The high level awareness can in fact
be correlated with overall high level object mechanics (globally in
the brain, nervous system, and environment) but it is a category error
to try to explain high level awareness as a function of objects.

High level awareness and low level awareness are share mutual
functionality. Experience through time is the opposite of objects
across space so low level awareness does not have to physically cause
high level awareness like a small gear turns a larger gear. Experience
is recapitulated within experience - just as your years of learning to
read English letters and words as a child are recapitulated
subconsciously in your perception of these bit arrangements as legible
text.

> > Please, pardon me for my agnostic view I proudly believe in the power of
> > "I dunno".
>
> Saying "I  dunno" is OK. It's the scientific way. Saying "I dunno, so it must
> be magic" is not OK.

Why isn't it ok to say "I dunno, so it might be exactly what it seems
to be"? It's not magic, it's ordinary consciousness.

Craig