compscicrackpot wrote:

> Consciousness is the heuristic of the universal search algorithm.
>
> To say that nature is the blind watchmaker is to forget that
> watchmakers are nature too, evolution has feelings, technological
> evolution is the conscious phase of evolution which is in acceleration
> towards an attractor of maximal transcendence which I will call god
> but you might like to call biologically transcendent man, I like to
> believe I have found the only true form of God that is compatible with
> rationalism/science.
>
> The universe is a search algorithm. In the first half of the process,
> biological evolution, it is a meta-search for a search system, the
> resulting search system is consciousness. The brain is a vast
> complexity which gives rise to the simplicity of being conscious,
> which is the prime example of what the search is ultimately for:
> transcendent simplicity, complexity is deeper or higher simplicity
> trying to emerge. The next half of the process is the conscious search
> of technological evolution which is the search for the deep stability
> that is collective conscious calm, the transcendent simplicity of
> effortless existence, effort being part of the old evolutionary
> paradigm.
>
> Another way of putting it is:
> The universe is a vast boiling chaos gradually cooling down, calming
> and crystallising, therefore the essence of existence is the
> attainment of calm and tranquillity, everything follows the path of
> least resistance except consciousness, human effort is the final
> desperate struggle to end all effort, to be calm, as conscious calm is
> the deepest level of calm, a tranquil human soul is the chaos cooled
> to the most beautiful and stable crystalline structure possible, we
> are driven towards effortless existence. The universe is a search for
> god and heaven, by god I mean consciousness that has transcended
> physical and intellectual biological limitations, by heaven I mean a
> world free from problems, this is all the inevitable evolution of god
> and heaven in progress, and god and heaven do exist as an attractive
> point towards which we are inexorably accelerating, god is the
> evolutionary attractor of transcendent man.

Interesting ideas, I agree with the idea that evolution is going towards
God/transcendence/heaven/simplicity and manifesting simplicity in
complexity.
But I think that technology is not the road to there, even though it may
play a minor part (as our gigantically extended rational "brains"). For the
simple reason that it is too complicated, and too bound to our designs of
it. All technology is designed, or - if it is able to evolve to some extent
- stems from design, and design can never reach the ultimate simplicity that
arises from direct self-awareness, no matter how flexible it is. I can't
prove that, but right now, we can clearly see the differences between the
amazing intuitive and flexible intelligence of nature, and the amazingly
reliable and accurate, but limited and cold, relatively inflexible
intelligence of technology.

Transcendence does, in my view, mainly involve transcendence of ego
(restricted sense of self; opposition of self vs other) - realizing
ourselves as God itself - and subsequently the body and physical reality. By
transcendence I do not mean totally leaving it behind, just going beyond its
restrictions. I do not think that there is any inherent limitation for the
universe that prohibits "magical feats" like ESP and traveling on the
spiritual plane (in a way that we can meet us there and have stable
structures etc...). It's just that as God is true to himself, he can't allow
himself to do that, as long as we are in ignorance of our true nature, which
may lead to abuse of this feats, attachment to them - both which could be
extremely dangerous. And he can not allow just a minority full access to
them, either, as God necessarily works as one. So right now, just very few
individual have those feats beyond "extended/unreasonable effective
intuition" (I think we all do have this, to some extent), and those that do
have them, can't demonstrate them reliably (they are quite uncontrollable,
and demonstrating them verifiably wouldn't be good for the evolution of our
collective consciousness), and they are quite minor feats. But as we evolve
spiritually (which mainly means collective enlightenment), I am confident we
will regularly experience "supernatural" (actually they are natural) events,
even though some limitation of it is needed for creative constrainment
(limitation enforces simplicity and prevents confusion).

It is clear to me that no reasonably possible technology can do that, and
honestly, no technology could be as beautiful as directly transcending the
physical when it comes to transcending the most pressing limitations
(technology is wonderful, though, for many more practically oriented things
- even if we could, in principle, teleport ourselves, it might be too
confusing to regularly use that instead of more convential means of
transportation, just like in Harry Potter). And for some things, technology
can probably barely help at all. Like making us peaceful and happy and a
lasting way ("the kingdom of heaven is within"). Or changing the fundamental
physical laws.
But most importantly, realizing ourselves as God (or a bit more modest
sounding, consciousness itself). Technology can't do that for us. Nothing
can do that for us, since it is only about us. And even we can't do that, we
can just recognize it.

benjayk