[NP]
> > Maybe you are thinking of Tegmark level 1 or level 2 type multiverses
> > here, in which case I agree.  What I was doing in my analysis was
> > thinking about QM type 3 multiverses only. Let's pretend that these
> > are the only variety for the moment, then my analysis does indicate
> > that cul de sacs arise only if the unitary development during
> > interactions follow the ideal measurement prescription.  You can see
> > this because in the times between the action of operator Mdev and Mc
> > the cat is alive in both branches but destined to die in one of them.
>
>[RS]
Why do you think there are conscious moments during the unitary
> evolution between Mdev and Mc? Surely the evolution between successive
> observer moments must be nonunitary. Unitary evolution is essentially
> unobservable.

[NP]

Perhaps I should have said between Msg and Mdev (although the argument
is still similar)  that U(t) |moves up>= |moves up> over the period t.
i.e. once the electron interacted with the SG device it took a while
to reach the detector but the state of the system did not change in an
important way.  I know that perhaps I should have put some position
representation in there but I don't think that's what your getting
at?

I'm assuming that there is no collapse of the wavefunction so my
experiences are all experienced because states evolve unitarily. I
understand that the unitary operator is not an observable operator but
I can observe the consequences of its action on a system because I
measure observables that give different eigenvalues each time I look
(experience things - my experiencing is a form of measurement).  Are
you saying that during an OM there is no change i.e. it is a static
picture? Are you thinking that unitary evolution goes on in between
the static pictures? Surely the t in the exponential means that the
system evolves over that t.  As a ist person I can observe things
changing over this t. Can you help me to see if I am making an error
of thinking?

Nick