2011/11/1 benjayk <benjamin.jaku...@googlemail.com>

> Quentin Anciaux-2 wrote:

> http://groups.google.com/group/everything-list/browse_thread/thread/4514b50b8eb469c3/c49c3aa24c265a4b?lnk=gst&q=homomorphic#c49c3aa24c265a4b
> >> person
> >> homomorphic
> and
> >> brains
> >> when/while
> >> deep
> >> structure.
> >> our
> >> until

> >> they
> >> through
> >> abitrarily

> >> it
> >> than

> >> old
> >> >
> >> OK, I can see that this a possible perspective on that. Indeed most of
> >> the
> >> time immortality is used to refer to personal immortality (especially in
> >> the
> >> west). I agree with materialists there is no good reason to suppose that
> >> this exists.
> >> Quantum immortality rests on the premise that the supposed continuations
> >> that exist in the MWs of quantum mechanics are lived as real for the
> >> person
> >> that dies, while we have no clue how these possibilities are actually
> >> lived.
> >> It is much more plausible - and consistent with our experience and
> >> observation - that the other possibilities are merely dreams,
> >> imagination,
> >> or - if more consistent - are lived by other persons (which, for
> example,
> >> didn't get into the deadly situation in the first place).
> >>
> >> On the other hand, I don't see why we would ignore immortality of
> >> consciousness, considering that the "I" is just a psychosocial
> >> construct/illusion anyway. We don't find an actual "I" anywhere. It
> seems
> >> very relevant to know that the actual essence of experience can indeed
> >> survive eternally. Why would I care whether an imagined "I" experiences
> >> it
> >> or not?
> >>
> >> How would you call this, if not immortality?
> >

> > Death.
> >
> You would call eternal existence of consciousness "death"?

What do you mean by "consciousness" ? I don't care about "eternal" not
me... it's the *same* thing as death. When talking about dying, what's
important is the person who die, if something is left who doesn't know that
it was that person... what does it means that its consciousness still
exists ? For me, it is just a vocabulary trick to not employ the word death
where what you mean is death.

Immortality means immortality, not death, not resurection.

A person is the sum of her memories, without memories, there is nothing
left.

> This seems quite
> strange and narrow to me.

Not to me, just read in a dictionary.

*immortal* (ɪˈmɔːtəl)   —*adj*  1.  not subject to death or decay; having
perpetual life 2.  having everlasting fame; remembered throughout time 3.
everlasting; perpetual; constant 4.  of or relating to immortal beings or
concepts

> Why would you restrict it only to the human experience of death?

Because if you want to define "mouse" to mean "dog", it's fine, but the
mouse stays a mouse.

Quentin