Quentin,

On 30 Oct 2011, at 23:51, Quentin Anciaux wrote:

benjayk:
On the other hand, I don't see why we would ignore immortality of
consciousness, considering that the "I" is just a psychosocial
construct/illusion anyway. We don't find an actual "I" anywhere. It seems
very relevant to know that the actual essence of experience can indeed
survive eternally. Why would I care whether an imagined "I" experiences it
or not?

How would you call this, if not immortality?

Death.

Quentin,

Could you imagine making a dream where you are someone else?

Can you imagine waking up, and remembering your life as a dream, and at the same time remembering "the" previous life?

I think we can dissociate from memories. I think we can identifying our identity, if I can say, with something deeper than the memories.

Memories are important, if only to avoid painful loops, and to progress, which is the making of histories. But like bodies, it makes sense that we own them, we are not them, I mean, not necessarily are we them.

We might be more our possible values, than the past local necessities. We might be more what we do with the memories than the memories themselves, which are very contingent and local.

Perhaps we should allow ourselves thought experiences with amnesia, and dissociation. We practice dissociation and re-association all night, but usually we forget all of this.

Who are we?