Quentin Anciaux-2 wrote:
> 
>> >> What I am describing can be said to be a kind of solipsism; only I
>> exist,
>> >> but I being the consciousness that we all share,
>> >
>> > I can't make a meaning of that... we do not share a "consciousness",
>> not
>> > in
>> > any definition of that term.
>> >
>> I am not speaking about anything definable. Whatever can be defined is
>> just
>> a concept. You can't define your way to an understanding of
>> consciousness,
>> just like you can't define things to find out what ice cream tastes like.
>> Trying to define the taste of ice cream is quite a futile endavour - the
>> most you could give as a definition is a paraphrase and this by itself
>> won't
>> make it clear at all what it tastes like.
>>
>> That we share a consciousness (or rather, are that one consciousness),
>> can
>> only be recognized by the consciousness itself (that is, you), not
>> inferred
>> through some apparent relation of objects or persons (or some description
>> or
>> definition). It is not hidden that there is just this consciousness now,
>> and
>> there is nothing else to find. That's why no else can have another
>> consciousness. It is nowhere to be found. Just your consciousness can be
>> found.
>>
>> Why would you believe that I have another consciousness, when you can
>> never
>> access it, and I am even telling you that I don't have it.
> 
> 
> Well fine, another zombi on the list then.
But I am not a zombie. I just don't see how consciousness can be owned by
anyone.


Quentin Anciaux-2 wrote:
> 
>> There is no
>> evidence for such an "other" to your consciousness.
>>
> 
> The evidence is that I'm conscious, and I infer that "objects" that
> interact with me the way I do, must be conscious too, ie: have qualia,
> have
> a 1st person perspective. You say you don't... ok fine.
That inference is fine, but you can't infer that their 1st person
perspective takes place in another consciousness. You can't find another
consciousness, and they can't find another consciousness, and there is no
evidence for such a "second" consciousness. How do you even count
consciousness? I don't see anything to count about it, so how to say that
there are 2 (or 3 or 4...) of it?


Quentin Anciaux-2 wrote:
> 
>> If you say you can infer it, then I ask by what means? We can infer
>> existence of other objects, but only because we already directly see that
>> different objects can exist as content of consciousness. But we never
>> ever
>> witnessed something like a different consciousness
> 
> I witness behavior, and for such behavior to occur, qualia must occur.
Yes, there are many reasons to believe so, but there is no reason to suppose
that these qualia occur in "another" consciousness, whatever this is
suppposed to mean.


Quentin Anciaux-2 wrote:
> 
>> and so have nothing which
>> we could base the claim that there is different consciousness on.
>>
> 
> Solipsism is false.
How do you know? It seems obviously true to me when it comes to
consciousness, not persons.


Quentin Anciaux-2 wrote:
> 
>> It is not even clear to me what other consciousness could even mean.
> 
> Someone not being you.
But consciousness is not a "someone". It is just experiencing.
You confuse consciousness with persons, or experience that is particular to
a person.

benjayk
-- 
View this message in context: 
http://old.nabble.com/The-consciousness-singularity-tp32803353p32825335.html
Sent from the Everything List mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Everything List" group.
To post to this group, send email to everything-list@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/everything-list?hl=en.

Reply via email to