On 11/11/2011 9:25 PM, Kim Jones wrote:
Is it possible to have a universe with no laws, including the laws of physics?
Is not having any laws of physics possible? What could happen within such a
universe? It seems at least a logical possibility (to me).

Wouldn't this be equivalent to saying either:

1. The laws of physics can't be divined or derived in those universes for some
reason so we only think there no laws

If we can think and have language and mathematics in which to express laws then it seems we will invent laws. I would even speculate that chimpanzees invent laws, like "Day will follow night" and "Leopards hunt at night". Maybe they don't have the scope and precision of we associate with laws of physics -- but the laws of physics we invented weren't always to great either.

2. The laws of physics change continually in those universes so we can't
measure them

No, that would just mean we have found the rule describing how they change. To be a "law of physics" means it has to apply at all times and places, directions, states of motion, etc.

3. Nothing is possible at all in those universes, but the universes
nevertheless exist in some sense.

That seems like a non-sequitur to me.

Brent

Is this just an empty set or is there more to it?

Thanks,

Kim Jones

19:34:00