On 13 Nov 2011, at 18:17, Quentin Anciaux wrote:

2011/11/13 Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be>

On 12 Nov 2011, at 23:11, Quentin Anciaux wrote:

2011/11/12 Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be>

On 10 Nov 2011, at 14:51, Quentin Anciaux wrote:

2011/11/10 benjayk <benjamin.jaku...@googlemail.com>

Spudboy100 wrote:

> In a message dated 11/9/2011 7:27:48 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> benjamin.jaku...@googlemail.com writes:
>
> Probably the one that is most convincing is direct experience. Try > meditation (my favorite is just doing nothing while being aware not to > snooze or think or search for something to do,etc...), or, if you are a
> bit
> more daring and very cautious and well informed, psychdelic drugs (eg > Salvia, Mushrooms, LSD, DMT) or suspend your belief that you are just a > person for long enough (then the reality of unity tends to reveal itself > spotaneously). If you are in the right mindset and maybe a bit lucky you
> can
> experience states in  which it is directly evident that there is
> fundamentally no other, just  this consciousness that you are.
>

> I see, Benjamin. But unless one takes these visions as a solipsism, I
> would
> ask, what does this bring to the table? We humans are primates, and for > most of us primates, we are group animals. We need each other even though
> we
> irritate  each other.
What I am describing can be said to be a kind of solipsism; only I exist,
but I being the consciousness that we all share,

I can't make a meaning of that... we do not share a "consciousness", not in any definition of that term.

Let me try, assuming mechanism. Would you agree that in the case you are cut and pasted in two different places, the resulting individuals share a common memory-past?

They share a common past memories, but as soon as they are "duplicated", they do not share their consciousness, only past memories.

"pure consciousness" is what is invariant through the change of memories.

I'm not sure it is meaningful. I call that 1st person experience. Consciousness has a subject.

Well, I guess you mean that consciousness has a content (a subject/ person has consciousness, usually). But experience with amnesia, or with brain perturbation, like the famous experience by Penfield who planted electrodes in brain's patient illustrate the fact that the subjects, despite extravaguant first person experience, including diverse amnesia, feel as remaining "one person and the same person" throughout.

That consciousness is a first person experience that we can share, despite we cannot communicate it. It is hard to convey because we are used to believe that consciousness has always a content. Exercises like staying lucid during sleep, or using some dissociative drugs, can help to give a sense to such a consciousness without any explicit experience and identity.

From this we can make sense of "sharing a consciousness", and may be understand that personal identity is relative. Would the original, before the duplication, die in case one of the copy will die?

I can understand that sharing consciousness can be felt as a meaningless notion, in case consciousness is defined by the first person experiences including memories,

That's how I would define it, consciousness is the first person experience.

but thought experiments can be imagined to defend the idea that we might survive amnesia (as it is commonly believed),

It's the same thing as death and playing with word. Using that definition it is obvious then that death does not exists... and at the same time it is meaningless.

I didn't say "total amnesia".

Then I'm ok, you can survive losing memories, but you cannot survive forgetting everything.

I agree, forgetting everything is equiavlent with a cul-de-sac, but from the UDA conclusion, you know that, assuming mechanism, your first person experience is indeterminate on an infinite of (arithmetical) incarnation of those experiences, at each possible instant, so that you can never get a point where you can forget everything. Bp -> Dt for all personal hypostases: NO cul-de-sac.

The hard question which concern us, and a clarification of Benjamin's assertion, is in the evaluation of the probabilities to backtrack compared to finding yourself in an abnormal histories. From what we can infer empirically, with a high neuro-type subst level, the probability of backtracking (through amnesia) seems higher than the probability of shifting in different kind of realities. 'course the math are very hard here for getting the LUM's answer on that question. It is easier to "interview a plant", which can switch of the root of consciousness from memories, for a short time period.

It is obvious that we can survive amnesia, if only because this happens everyday. We do forget many things all the time, if only most night dream experiences. Some people can forget complete hours or larger time period in a car crash, and we don't say that they are dead.

Now imagine someone, Arthur, say, who is cut in B, and paste in W. Imagine also that a backup of Arthur's teleported state has been done in B. Imagine that Arthur dies in an accident at W, some month after that teleportation. Other persons, in B, decide to re- instantiate that person from the old backup in B. Would you say that Arthur died?

That arthur + 1 month died. All of its month of experiences is lost... A younger version of that arthur is still alive.

OK, but admitting that you are Arthur, would you say that you will die in case we foretell you what will happen?

If the "no cul de sac" is ok for a continuation with total amnesia, then it is not even false, but as I said devoid of content, meaningless.

I agree. But from the first person point of view there can never be a total amnesia. A near total amnesia is possible, and will be lived as a remembering we were naturally close to a sort of cosmic abstract consciousness since the start. When this is lived as a quite sudden experience, it can be felt like an awakening, where the 'current life' seems to be like an evanescent dream, or like a movie interrupted for some reason. We remain fully conscious in such experience.

Strictly speaking this is equivalent with Arthur becoming amnesic of the month-life experience in W.

Yes and it is lost.

Not necessarily. The "original" Arthur might find the diary of the annihilated Arthur and continues "his" life. You are not your memories. You play a role in a perspective where those memories seems vital, but "near death" perspective can shift, and you can decide that your value are more important than token particular memories.

Personally I would not say that he died, just that he lost some memories. If not, then we die everyday.

We are not aware of everything and don't remember everything, death is the lost of personhood.

Exactly. But all the LUMs, despite being ideally correct, have already a complex personhood, and that survives for purely arithmetical reasons.

If when you talk about "immortality" and you allow that through total amnesia... then it's just word playing not "immortality".

I think we might agree, but if you see that "total amnesia" is really a non sense, and if you agree we can survive with partial amnesia, then you might ascribe more meaning to what Benjamin tried to convey.

(To be sure I do disagree with Benjamin and Rex that consciousness is primitive. It is a mistake (in the mechanist theory) which mirrors the Aristotelian mistake of taking matter as primitive: with mechanism we can explain where and how the coupling consciousness/realities emerge from.

Bruno

Quentin

Bruno

in which case the 'consciousness" we share might be the consciousness of the least common part to ... all Löbian machines, or even all universal machines?

We never really know who we are, it seems to me, and that ignorance makes me open to the idea that "sharing consciousness" might make some sense.

Bruno

not "I" in the sense of me
as a person (which is usually meant when we are talking about solipsism). We need others as an other to our personhood, but not as an other to us as consciousness (which is what we really are, the person being more like something we dress ourselves with). Otherness is the one seeing itself from
different perspectives.

Spudboy100 wrote:

> At the end of the day, can one bring information, that
> would not, logically, be known, otherwise? For instance, that Uncle, > Bruno, left a mathematical puzzle, he worked on, inscribed on page 1273,
> in the
> 1999 edition of ARS MATHEMATICA, in his old, study--something like this,
> let us  say?
You mean in a paranormal way? There are many experiental results that suggest so (even though its validity is disputed, but the criticism if often not vindicated, in my opinion), and a lot of astounding anecdotes. But it
might not work in the way we expect, in terms of consistency,
controllability and scope.

benjayk

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To post to this group, send email to everything-list@googlegroups.com . To unsubscribe from this group, send email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com . For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/everything-list?hl=en .