I have a few more ideas to add, considering how this singularity might work
in practice.

I think that actually consciousness does not start in a linear fashion in
our coherent material world, but creates an infinity of semi-coherent
beginngs all the time (at all levels of consciousness), which might be
termed "virtual experiences", that exist right now. These are experiences
are more akin to exploring the possibility space than having a consistent
world (though they have to have a relative consistency, no one wants to
experience random noise). This would explain the encounters with intelligent
entities encountered on drug trips (sometimes dreams and meditation), that
seem very conscious. It seems hard to explain where they could come from in
coventional terms (future, spririt world, parallel universes, etc...?). My
theory is that they are virtual beings, that really experience, but in them
consciousness has not yet decided by which "real" entitiy (like a human) it
is experienced, in which way the real subjective future will be experienced
(there already might exist a virtual future, though), when it is experienced
in reality and how exactly the experience is reflected to outside observers.
They are somehow left in abeyance.
In the future, and partially already in the present, we might download these
experiences and interface them with our normal history. With download, I
mean experience them, and giving them a context, so they can become actual
in a manner that makes sense in our reality. This can happen in our
imagination, in our dreams, through playing games, reading books, surfing
the internet and on trips.
As we download the experience, we may infuse it with our
personality/humaness (this often felt as merging with entities on trips),
which leads to more consistent development in the virtual realm (so that
entities can exist that are stable enough to make a clear and consistent
communication possible).
On the other hand, by downloading experiences, we can infuse our realm with
creative new ideas (and the possibility of paranormal events), bring these
virtual realm on earth.

If we learn to navigate this virtual realm more efficiently in the future,
it might be immensly powerful. For example, it allows the interaction
between physically seperated entities.
Or it may allow us to make time jumps (of course not collectively, since
someone has to be there to make the time that we skip). That would allow for
truly awesomely fast subjective development. Imagine you live your life, and
at some point a virtual entities contacts you to die and jump 1000000 years
into the future (where you get an appropiate body and mind for that future,
of course). Right now we can't jump, because we need everyone on earth to
make the world in normal time work. But if we learn to virtualize ourselves
(/navigate the virtual realm) we may, instead of going to the world
ourselves, send "copies" for some time (that are "played" by other ones) and
in that way prolong the time until we have to come to earth (or whatever
exists then) again.