On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 08:04:24AM -0500, spudboy...@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 11/16/2011 10:41:43 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> marc...@ulb.ac.be writes:
>
> I love that book. It is a very courageous book, and I am afraid Tipler
> paid some price for it, in terms of relation with colleagues.
>

> Yes, its a very, important book. I liked his Physics of Christianity, less.
>  His physics has been criticized, due to the WMAP survey of 1998, showing
> cosmic  acceleration of the big bang. However on the David Deutsch Group, on
> Yahoo;  (August 17, 2010), Deutsch mused, that perhaps, though Tipler's
> reliance on the  standard model failed; the chacteristics of dark energy,
> might
> not defeat the  turing principle, thus, providing (perhaps) infinite
> computing cycles.  Therefore, because of that, Tipler's omega point goal
> would be
> achieved.

Omega point theory is important, albeit rather implausible in light of
recent cosmology. The book, however, is not. I remember giving up on
the book around 1/4 of the way through because of the numerous
scientific errors in areas related to complex systems science.

I remember that Omega point theory had been presented by Tipler well before
the PoI book.

Cheers