To be fair, Rosen was addressing the question of "what is life",
rather than "what is complexity", per se. His notions, whilst interesting, do
differ in important ways from what most complexity science researchers
are talking about. Also being cloaked in the language of category
theory, they are difficult to grok for the average scientist who have
not been exposed to such concepts. Bruno can empathise with this,
having a similar problem with modal logic.

Cheers