On Sun, Nov 20, 2011 at 2:59 PM, Russell Standish <li...@hpcoders.com.au>wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 20, 2011 at 10:27:20AM -0600, Jason Resch wrote:
> > >

> > More general physical principals like the Schrodinger equation might be
> > applicable to all observers if it is truly, as Russell staid, a theory of
> > observation.  But something like the weight of the electron, the
> > Gravitational constant are, in my mind, more properly considered local
> > properties rather than global principals.
> >
> > Jason
> >

> The Gravitational constant is a conversion constant between units - no
> more significant than the fact there are 2.54... centimetres per inch.

That's one way of looking at it, but what I meant to convey is that the
force of gravity has a certain definite strength in this universe.  Must it
be this way for all possible observers or not?  We have a choice of saying
either gravity is weak or that masses are really small, but either way you
approach it, one of those two must be considered a property of our physical
universe.

> The electron mass may be parochial property of where we live, or it
> may be derivable from some more fundamental theory. For example, it is
> thought that the mass of the proton is given by quantum
> chromodynamics, but the calculations are so fierce, that nobody has
> achieved this yet.

Have you heard of Heim theory?  It is little known since most of his
publications were only published in German, but one of the claimed results
is derivation of particle masses based on just the Gravitational constant,
Planck's constant, vacuum permittivity and permeability.

Jason