On Dec 2, 3:22 pm, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
> On 12/2/2011 10:44 AM, Craig Weinberg wrote:

> >> I can change my experience by moving to Canada, getting a new wife, or
> >> putting brandy in
> >> my coffee.
>
> > You can't experience any of those changes without a brain. If I could
> > change your experience by putting brandy in my coffee then you would
> > have a point. I can't though. I can't change anyones experience unless
> > I do something that changes their brain.

> The point is that any change in our experience does change our brain,
> otherwise we
> wouldn't experience it.

That's my point exactly. This is not the case with any other object in
the cosmos. A change in our experience does not change a shoe and
changing a shoe does not change our experience - it's the brain and
only the brain which fits this description, making it the only known
source of our experience.

>I don't know why that should make it "the source" of our
> experience.

If grape juice comes from a grape and all grapes produce grape juice,
is it not fair to say that grapes are the only known source of grape
juice? I can't apply the same logic to juice in general because lots
of things could be said to be a source of juice, but we don't have a
single thing that we can say is having a human experience without a
human brain being involved.

> Actually I could change your experience by putting brandy in your coffee; in
> fact I'm changing your experience right now as you read these words.

Right but you can't change my experience by putting brandy in *your*
coffee. Of course your words are changing my experience and my brain
because I am able to read them, but I couldn't read them if my brain
had no access to them.

Craig