On 12/7/2011 8:14 AM, benjayk wrote:
Tegmark's argument shows only that the brain is essentially classical if we
assume decoherence works the same in natural systems as in our "artificial"
experiments.  But it seems natural systems have a better ability to remain
coherent, when it would be impossible otherwise (see photosynthesis). So it
seems we can't rely on Tegmarks assumption.

Photosynthesis doesn't require much coherence. Even aside from Tegmark's analysis, it's easy to see that brains should be mostly classical. There would be great evolutionary disadvantage to have a brain that was in a coherent superposition when it needed to inform actions in a mostly classical world using a mostly classical body.