On 12/7/2011 8:14 AM, benjayk wrote:
Most materialist just say: Well, the natural laws are just there, without
any particular reason or meaning behind them, we have to take them for
granted. But this is almost as unconvincing as saying "A creator God is just
there, we have to take him for granted". It makes no sense (it would be a
totally absurd universe), and there also is no evidence that natural laws
are primary (we don't find laws to describe the Big Bang and very plausibly,
there are none because it is a mathematical singularity).

You are attributing a naive concept of physical laws to "we". Physical laws are models we make up to explain and predict the world. That's why they change when we get new information. Mathematical singularities are in the mathematics. Nobody supposes they are in the world.