On 12/8/2011 5:46 AM, benjayk wrote:

meekerdb wrote:
On 12/7/2011 8:14 AM, benjayk wrote:
Tegmark's argument shows only that the brain is essentially classical if
we
assume decoherence works the same in natural systems as in our
"artificial"
experiments.  But it seems natural systems have a better ability to
remain
coherent, when it would be impossible otherwise (see photosynthesis). So
it
seems we can't rely on Tegmarks assumption.
Photosynthesis doesn't require much coherence.
http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-12-evidence-quantum-photosynthesis.html

And wikipedia says "Studies in the last few years have demonstrated the
existence of functional quantum coherence in photosynthetic protein. [...]
These systems use times to decoherence that are within the timescales
calculated for brain protein.".

But they only involve passing electrons through some molecules; nothing like a neuronal signal.

meekerdb wrote:
   Even aside from Tegmark's analysis, it's
easy to see that brains should be mostly classical.  There would be great
evolutionary
disadvantage to have a brain that was in a coherent superposition when it
needed to inform
actions in a mostly classical world using a mostly classical body.
What if the classical world is just an simplificated world as an
epistemological model that's helps us to survive well in the world of
infinite quantum possibility (which is extremely hard to survive in without
it)? It may be that quantum processes are of great importance everywhere in
nature, and it is precisely our capability of consciousness to make simple
models that makes it appear classical.

That's my point. We see the world as classical because that's the important way to see it for survival. So our brains evolved to be (mostly) classical. Of course quantum processes are important everywhere: without them atoms and molecules couldn't even exist.

We have more and more evidence of that, as we discover quantum coherence in
plants and many phenomena that are virtually impossible to explain in terms
of classical physics (paranormal phenomena).

If the phenomena are explicable by quantum mechanics, they're normal. Sounds like you been reading too much Depak Chopra.