On 12/8/2011 10:18 AM, Pzomby wrote:
On Dec 7, 10:31 am, meekerdb<meeke...@verizon.net>  wrote:
On 12/7/2011 8:14 AM, benjayk wrote:

Most materialist just say: Well, the natural laws are just there, without
any particular reason or meaning behind them, we have to take them for
granted. But this is almost as unconvincing as saying "A creator God is just
there, we have to take him for granted". It makes no sense (it would be a
totally absurd universe), and there also is no evidence that natural laws
are primary (we don't find laws to describe the Big Bang and very plausibly,
there are none because it is a mathematical singularity).
You are attributing a naive concept of physical laws to "we".  Physical laws
are models we
make up to explain and predict the world.  That's why they change when we get
new
information.  Mathematical singularities are in the mathematics.  Nobody
supposes they are
in the world.

You state: “Physical laws are models we make up to explain and predict
the world.”  Are properties of mathematics then dual, being both
representational (models) and encoded (rules) as instantiated brain
functions?

Mathematics is a subset of language in which propositions are related by rules of inference that preserve "truth". We can use it to talk about all kinds of things, both real and fictional. We try to create mathematical models where possible because then we have the rules of inference to make predictions that are precise. Where our models are not mathematical, e.g. in politics or psychology, it's never clear exactly what the model predicts.

I think the rules of inference are encoded in our brains. See William S. Coopers book "The Evolution of Reason".

In other words could the singularity in mathematics you refer to be
further divided?

The singularity I was referring to is the hypersurface of infinite energy density and curvature which general relativity predicts at the center of a black hole and the Big Bang. It is in the mathematical model - which only shows that the model doesn't apply at these extreme conditions. This was not a surprise to anyone, since it was already known that general relativity isn't compatible with quantum mechanics and is expected to breakdown at extremely high energies and short distances.

Brent

Thanks