On 12/8/2011 8:58 AM, Quentin Anciaux wrote:

2011/12/8 meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>>

    On 12/8/2011 6:33 AM, Quentin Anciaux wrote:

        The UD argument is not a proof of computationalism being true, is an
argument
        that shows computationalism (I can be run on a digital computer) is not
        compatible with materialism. It shows that to be able to predict your
next
        moment (if computationlism is true) then the primitive material world
is of no
        use (if there is one).

    I don't think so.  It is patently untrue that the material world model is
of no use
    in predicting your next experience.  In fact it is essentially the only
useful model
    for prediction.

That's not what I said. I said that the primitive world if any is of no use if we are computation, because our next moment is part of the infinity of computations that goes through our current state and only that. So in that case you use the "appearance" world not a *primitive* world.

You seem to be making an argument that we are not computations. If we were then materialism would be a useless model. It's not a useless model, therefore computationalism is false. I'd disagree with that because is might be that materialism provides a useful model of compuattions.

Or are you arguing that the notion of a primitive world is useless because we always use the world of appearance. That I might agree with.

Brent

Quentin

    Brent
    "I wonder if practitioners of alternative medicine would fly in airliners
designed
    by alternative aerodynamics?"
                   --- TG, Holistic Lawyer

-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups