On 09 Dec 2011, at 06:30, Joseph Knight wrote:

Hi Bruno

I was cruising the web when I stumbled upon a couple of PDFs by Jean- Paul Delahaye criticizing your work. (PDF 1, PDF 2). I don't speak French, but google translate was able to help me up to a point. The main point of PDF 1, in relation to the UDA, seems to be that there is not necessarily a notion of probability defined for truly indeterministic events. (Is this accurate? Are there any results in this area? I couldn't find much.)

Jean-Paul Delahaye was the director of my thesis, and in 2004, when I asked him why I did not get the gift (money, publication of the thesis, and promotion of it) of the price I got in Paris for my thesis, he told me that he has refuted it (!). I had to wait for more than six year to see that "refutation" which appears to be only a pack of crap. Most objection are either rhetorical tricks, or contains elementary logical errors. I will, or not, answer to those fake objections. I have no clue why Delahaye acts like that. I think that if he had a real objection he would have told me this in private first, and not under my back. He showed a lacking of elementary scientific deontology. He might have some pressure from Paris, who witnessed some pressure from Brussels to hide a belgo-french academical scandal, but of course he denies this.

So Delahaye is that unique "scientist", that i have mentionned in some post, who pretend to refute my thesis. My director thesis!

The translation of PDF 2, with regards to the Movie Graph argument, was much harder for me to understand. Could you help me out with what Delayahe is saying here, and what your response is? I am just curious about these things :) I noticed some discussion of removing stones from heaps, and comparing that to the removal of subparts of the filmed graph, which to me seemed to be an illegitimate analogy, but I would like to hear your take...

The heap argument was already done when I was working on the thesis, and I answered it by the stroboscopic argument, which he did understand without problem at that time. Such an argument is also answered by Chalmers fading qualia paper, and would introduce zombie in the mechanist picture. We can go through all of this if you are interested, but it would be simpler to study the MGA argument first, for example here:

http://old.nabble.com/MGA-1-td20566948.html

There are many other errors in Delahaye's PDF, like saying that there is no uniform measure on N (but there are just non sigma-additive measures), and also that remark is without purpose because the measure bears on infinite histories, like the iterated self-duplication experience, which is part of the UD's work, already illustrates.

All along its critics, he confuses truth and validity, practical and in principle, deduction and speculation, science and continental philosophy. He also adds assumptions, and talk like if I was defending the truth of comp, which I never did (that mistake is not unfrequent, and is made by people who does not take the time to read the argument, usually).

I proposed him, in 2004, to make a public talk at Lille, so that he can make his objection publicly, but he did not answer. I have to insist to get those PDF. I did not expect him to make them public before I answered them, though, and the tone used does not invite me to answer them with serenity. He has not convinced me, nor anyone else, that he takes himself his argument seriously.

The only remark which can perhaps be taken seriously about MGA is the same as the one by Jacques Mallah on this list: the idea that a physically inactive material piece of machine could have a physical activity relevant for a particular computation, that is the idea that comp does not entail what I call "the 323 principle". But as Stathis Papaioannou said, this does introduce a magic (non Turing emulable) role for matter in the computation, and that's against the comp hypothesis. No one seems to take the idea that comp does not entail 323 seriously in this list, but I am willing to clarify this.

Indeed, it is not yet entirely clear for me if comp implies 323 *logically*, due to the ambiguity of the "qua computatio". In the worst case, I can put 323 in the defining hypothesis of comp, but most of my student, and the reaction on this in the everything list suggests it is not necessary. It just shows how far some people are taken to avoid the conclusion by making matter and mind quite magical.

I think it is better to study the UDA1-7, before MGA, and if you want I can answer publicly the remarks by Delahaye, both on UDA and MGA. I might send him a mail so that he can participate. Note that the two PDF does not address the mathematical and main part of the thesis (AUDA).

So ask any question, and if Delahaye's texts suggest some one to you, that is all good for our discussion here.