> >> Mathematics is a subset of language in which propositions are related by
> >> rules of
> >> inference that preserve "truth".  We can use it to talk about all kinds of
> >> things, both
> >> real and fictional.  We try to create mathematical models where possible
> >> because then we
> >> have the rules of inference to make predictions that are precise.  Where
> >> our models are
> >> not mathematical, e.g. in politics or psychology, it's never clear exactly
> >> what the model
> >> predicts.
>
> >> I think the rules of inference are encoded in our brains.  See William S.
> >> Coopers book
> >> "The Evolution of Reason".

> >> The singularity I was referring to is the hypersurface of infinite energy
> >> density and
> >> curvature which general relativity predicts at the center of a black hole
> >> and the Big
> >> Bang.  It is in the mathematical model - which only shows that the model
> >> doesn't apply at
> >> these extreme conditions.  This was not a surprise to anyone, since it was
> >> already known
> >> that general relativity isn't compatible with quantum mechanics and is
> >> expected to
> >> breakdown at extremely high energies and short distances.
>
> >> Brent
>
> >   Brent
>
> > I was attempting to go down another layer of understanding as I see
> > it.  I will restate an abbreviated opinion:
>
> > Numerals (mathematics) and languages are themselves fundamental
> > instantiations of the laws/rules/inferences of truth abstract
> > mathematics representing the precise observed or discovered structure
> > and order of the universe and the semantically less precise languages
> > are used to interpret and communicate the mathematical models in
> > descriptions and predictions of the universe.
>
> I think it's a mistake to think mathematics has something to do with truth.
> Truth is an
> attribute of a proposition that expresses a fact.  Mathematics consists of
> relations of
> inference between propositions - which may or may not express anything at all
> beyond the
> relations.
>

> > Mathematics...has multi faceted properties, being at least (1)
> > representational numbers as in descriptively enumerated models as well
> > as adjective position in spatiotemporal sequence (ordinals) and (2)
> > computable numbers as in counting and arithmetic.
>
> Mathematics doesn't exist in space and time; although it may be used to
> describe them.

 Exactly, that is what I was attempting to state. You, and most other
contributors to this list are very knowledgeable but I believe that
some of the properties of numbers and mathematics may be overlooked as
to their relevance, but I may be wrong as I have only been observing
the “Everything” list for a short time.

Ordinal numbers are “descriptive adjectives” as to relational
position.  The relative position of an event in order being 1st, 2nd,
3rd etc. has describable meaning. The representational description of
mental events and external existent conditions are related as to their
position in the sequence of time. Time and place both exude conditions
that are describable and somewhat predictable. The representational
and descriptive conditional position of the earth to the sun, moon and
stars gives rise to conditions at a relational position in time.

The point is that numbers represent computation (counting and
arithmetic) and the ordinal attribute of numbers represent words that
communicate descriptive relational meaning. This appears to give dual
meaning to numbers that human brain/consciousness can distinguish,
represent, organize and compute.

An example: The mathematical “golden ratio” as observed in art and
nature appears to be pleasant in a geometrically way to the human
vision and brain/consciousness.