On 12/12/2011 6:28 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote:
On Dec 12, 8:40 pm, meekerdb<meeke...@verizon.net>  wrote:
On 12/12/2011 5:04 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote:

On Dec 12, 12:36 pm, meekerdb<meeke...@verizon.net>    wrote:
On 12/12/2011 4:55 AM, Craig Weinberg wrote:
If recordings were conscious, wouldn't they evolve behind our backs?
Why would consciousness imply evolution?  Evolution requires reproduction and
differential
selection.
I was talking about evolving in a general sense of changing and
progressing, not natural selection. If a cartoon is conscious in any
way, why doesn't it keep going by itself?
Maybe it requires a certain environment.  It requires a projector and screen.
You require
oxygen, food, and water.
That's just sophistry. A projector and screen can't add scenes to a
cartoon. Recordings make don't make any changes to themselves which
extend their semantic content. Unless you have a counterfactual in
mind?

Craig

I don't think a cartoon is conscious either. But I was just pointing out that "keep going by itself" can't the be critereon since things we think are conscious don't keep going *by themselves*.