On 12/13/2011 4:11 AM, Craig Weinberg wrote:
On Dec 12, 11:43 pm, meekerdb<meeke...@verizon.net>  wrote:
On 12/12/2011 6:28 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote:
I don't think a cartoon is conscious either.  But I was just pointing out that
"keep going
by itself" can't the be critereon since things we think are conscious don't
keep going *by
themselves*.

It doesn't have to be *the* criterion but I think it's a valid
counterfactual. We have oxygen, food, water and our consciousness
keeps going, ie experiencing and generating both novelty and extending
continuity. A cartoon doesn't end because it's deprived of film or
pixels. You can provide extra blank frames which contain the same
elements, paper and ink, pixels of certain colors, etc, but no
extension of any pattern of the cartoon will occur.

What is your criterion for thinking that a cartoon isn't conscious?
Craig

It doesn't take information from it's environment, learn, and act on the
environment.