On Dec 14, 2:03 pm, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
> On 12/14/2011 6:47 AM, Craig Weinberg wrote:

> > You can't imagine a view of the Sistine Chapel? A hairbrush with
> > thousands of bristles? The sound of millions of cicadas in the trees?
> > Not sure what you mean. Granted, there is loose sense of bandwidth of
> > sense we can make in any given moment, but I'm talking about the
> > infinite qualities of the content we can generate.
> I deny that you imagine those multiplicities.  You just have a word for them
> and you
> imagine them as single things to which you attach the word.

Huh? If I drop a box of matches in real life, I can see the
multiplicity, but unlike RainMan I don't automatically know precisely
how many. I can imagine a box of matches spilled out on the floor,
can't you? I can imagine the difference between around 200 matches and
around 2000 matches, can't you? I can imagine a tarp the size of
picnic blanket piled high with matches. Not sure how many, maybe 1.5
million? Just guessing. Maybe your imagination works differently.
Maybe that makes you see the world differently than I do.

> > We can
> > spontaneously make up things out of nowhere. The flavor of pinecone
> > icecream, the sound of a hat being eaten by a crocodile, a Picasso
> > version of a Pollack painting. This is not a capacity that lends
> > itself to explanation by determinism or can be compared to things that
> > we can observe outside of ourselves.
> The random combination of known objects and concepts.  Before computers it
> was commonly
> implemented using concentric cardboard disks with word written along radii.

Dialing the word 'Picasso style' next to the word 'Pollack painting'
is not combining anything. They are just meaningless markings on a
cardboard disk. The ability to imagine what a Jackson Pollack painting
might look like if Pablo Picasso painted it is not something that a
cardboard disk can do. You take perception for granted each and every
time. You talk as if drawing a happy face on a rock makes the rock