On 12/14/2011 4:29 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote:
How do you know that it's not the computation which is only an
appearance emerging from the physical universe, which inherently
includes the potential for consciousness? If you ask computation which
is primitive, it can only tell you that it is because it has no
capacity to make sense of anything else. If you ask only myself what
is primitive, I say awareness. To me, the primitive is the symmetry of
the two and the function of that symmetry in influencing perspective -
which is to me, sense-making.

Of course if you set out to explain consciousness one possibility is to just assume consciousness, i.e. awareness, if fundamental. But then you need explain everything else, physics, Platonia,... in terms of awareness. Ordinarily "awareness" is a two part relation: A is aware of B. So do you need another primitive to be the object of awareness?