On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 08:26:21PM -0800, Pierz wrote:

...snip...

> The problem is even deeper than this, however. How does the system
> ‘know’ when two locations should be bilocated? This works OK for a
> single copy of Klara, since she is a static system. But if she must
> physically interact with all the previous editions of herself further
> back in the calculation chain, then she will be forced to ‘build’
> pipes on the go, a ridiculously contrived procedure that totally
> vitiates the idea of a mindlessly proceeding, inert system. And how
> does Klara (or rather, Olympia) remember which path she has followed
> in order to know which trough to drain? New mechanisms must be devised
> which effectively mean retaining the activity of previous Klaras in
> the chain and are no different from a form of backtracking.

My understanding is that to construct Olympia, we take n copies of
Klara, and run each copy to step i of the program, where i=1..n-1. The
construct the sequence of water troughs such that they are equal to
that of K_i at step i. We also connect K_i to Olympia at that point,
ready to take over in the event of a counterfactual being true.

I don't think the issue of pipes is a problem - we can assume each
trough in state i is connected to the troughs of states i-1 such
that when the armature moves through to state i, it closes a valve
connecting the troughs to the previous state's troughs.

It may seem complex, but it is mere complication, not complexity, if
you understand the difference.

> If Maudlin’s argument is a foundation of the UDA, then it seems to me
> the UDA is on shaky ground, though I have yet to investigate the MGA
> in depth. People talk about the Movie Graph Argument, but the links
> provided refer to Alice and a distant supernova with lucky rays that
> substitute for functional neurons. I don’t see a connection to the
> idea of a recording or a filmed graph. Can someone enlighten me?

Maudlin's argument has been compared with the MGA, which is step 8 of
the UDA. The previous steps are independent of Maudlin.

Olympia can be compared with a recording of the computation. That is
the "filmed graph" (aka movie graph).