On Dec 22, 7:13 pm, Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com> wrote:

> This is because of the modularity of our brains:
> Different sections of the brain perform specific functions.  Some neurons
> may serve only as communication links between different regions in the
> brain, while others may be involved in processing.  I think that the
> malfunction and correction of a "communication neuron" might not alter
> Alice's experience, in the same way we could correct a faulty signal in her
> optic nerve and not expect her experience to be affected.  I am less sure,
> however, that a neuron involved in processing could have its function
> replaced by a randomly received particle, as this changes the definition of
> the machine.
>
> Think of a register containing a bit '1'.  If the bit is '1' because two
> inputs were received and the logical AND operation is applied, this is an
> entirely different computation from two bits being ANDed, the result placed
> in that register, then (regardless of the result) the bit '1' is set in
> that register.  This erases any effect of the two input bits, and redefines
> the computation altogether.  This 'set 1' instruction is much like the
> received particles from the super nova causing neurons to fire.  It is a
> very shallow computation, and in my opinion, not likely to lead to any
> consciousness.

This study suggests that the mind should not be modeled in that way:
http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/June05/new.mind.model.ssl.html

"For decades, the cognitive and neural sciences have treated mental
processes as though they involved passing discrete packets of
information in a strictly feed-forward fashion from one cognitive
module to the next or in a string of individuated binary symbols --
like a digital computer," said Spivey. "More recently, however, a
growing number of studies, such as ours, support dynamical-systems
approaches to the mind. In this model, perception and cognition are
mathematically described as a continuous trajectory through a high-
dimensional mental space; the neural activation patterns flow back and
forth to produce nonlinear, self-organized, emergent properties --
like a biological organism."

Their findings support my view that consciousness is biological
awareness, not modular computation.

Craig