On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 11:18 PM, Russell Standish <li...@hpcoders.com.au>wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 04:27:28PM -0600, Joseph Knight wrote:
> >
> >
> > Regarding Maudlin’s argument: Russell has recently stated that Maudlin’s
> > argument doesn’t work in a multiverse, and that consciousness is thus a
> > multiverse phenomenon. I disagree for the same reason that Bruno
> disagrees:
> > the region of the multiverse on which consciousness supervenes can just
> be
> > Turing emulated in a huge water/trough/block computer, and Maudlin’s
> > argument can be reapplied. I realize that this could lead to an infinite
> > regress…hmm…
> >
>
> You reminding us all of what supervenience really means is very
> timely.
>
> In the case of dovetailing a region of the Multiverse, it is not the
> case that consciousness can supervene on a universal dovetailer. If
> the conscious content differs in some way, the universal dovetailer
> does not - as it is a static, quite singular object.
>

Surely it is only static in the sense that any program is static (in a
Platonic sense)? For now, I am referring to a concrete UD. A concrete UD
can be in different states at different times, so I don't see a problem.


>
> Consiousness does still supervene on the simulated physics, though -
> assuming it supervened on the original multiversal physics.
>
> Please could someone explain how to apply Maudlin's argument to a
> dovetailed multiverse. People keep asserting it is just the same as
> the orignal argument, when it is clearly not. There are no Klaras, for
> instance, no counterfactuals, and no supervenience, as your posting
> has made clear.
>

I don't see the need to apply Maudlin's argument to the whole UD, just the
branches that are relevant. There are surely counterfactuals between these
branches?


>
> I wouldn't fuss too much about the infinite regress - there's a lot of
> those as soon as dovetailers are involved.


> Cheers
>
> --
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Prof Russell Standish                  Phone 0425 253119 (mobile)
> Principal, High Performance Coders
> Visiting Professor of Mathematics      hpco...@hpcoders.com.au
> University of New South Wales          http://www.hpcoders.com.au
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> "Everything List" group.
> To post to this group, send email to everything-list@googlegroups.com.
> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
> everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
> For more options, visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/everything-list?hl=en.
>
>


-- 
Joseph Knight

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Everything List" group.
To post to this group, send email to everything-list@googlegroups.com.
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/everything-list?hl=en.

Reply via email to