On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 03:30:00PM +0100, Bruno Marchal wrote:

> On 23 Dec 2011, at 06:18, Russell Standish wrote:
>

> >In the case of dovetailing a region of the Multiverse, it is not the
> >case that consciousness can supervene on a universal dovetailer.
>
> I guess you mean "on  universal dovetailing". It is still ambiguous
> if you mean it to be concrete/primitively-physical, or immaterial,
> like with its arithmetical implementations.

The concept of supervenience has no purchase on the concreteness or
otherwise of the supervened on.

But what I meant here by "universal dovetailer" was any physically
instantiated universal dovetailer, otherwise we're no longer talking
about SUP-PHYS.

> >If
> >the conscious content differs in some way, the universal dovetailer
> >does not - as it is a static, quite singular object.
>
> If the conscious content differs, it cannot be related to the same
> executions among the infinitely many done by the UD.

True, but the UD does not change itself. So the consciousness are not
supervening on the UD, by definition of supervenience.

Actually my responses to Joe Knight's comments may be more useful at
getting to why I'm dissatisfied with Maudlin's argument.