On Sat, Dec 24, 2011 at 04:44:41PM +0100, Bruno Marchal wrote:

> >The concept of supervenience has no purchase on the concreteness or
> >otherwise of the supervened on.
>
> Maudlin uses "supervenience" for "physical supervenience", like Kim
> and most "expert" on supervenience.
> I use "physical supervenience", because in the dilemma mechanism/
> materialsim I choose mechanism. I keep comp, and withdraw the
> physical supervenience, so what remains is comp-supervenience, which
> do no more refer to anything physical. the physical belongs at this
> stage to the appearance of physical, and we have to retrieve the
> physical laws from machine's psychology/theology. Which motivates
> for AUDA.

Even if the physics is not concrete, but purely phenomenological as
indicated by steps 1-7 of the UDA, and if the consciousness supervenes on
it, it is still physical supervenience, surely.

That is why I say supervenience has no purchase on concreteness.

> >So the consciousness are not
> >supervening on the UD, by definition of supervenience.
>
> The consciousness of mister x does supervene on the running of the
> relevant computation done by the UD. His consciousness supervene on
> (infinitely many) subcomputations of the UD computation. That's why
> in UDA step seven we have already the reversal physics/computer
> science in the case we suppose our physical universe to be robust (=
> executing concretely a universal dovetailer).
> The consciousness of one student in a classroom, full of many
> students, does supervene on the physical activity occurring in the
> classroom as a whole, despite the classroom does not change itself
> per se. (It does it in some sense, but then the UD does it to, after
> all he changes itself into an infinity of different programs,
> including many which changes themselves).

Good analogy. Let's explore it further. Tommy is in the classroom. So
is Samantha. Let's swap Tommy's consciousness for Samantha's. But the
classroom does not change! So neither Tommy's nor Samantha's
consciousness supervenes on the classroom as a whole, only (possibly)
on subsystems of the classroom.