On 12/25/2011 4:44 PM, alexalex wrote:
Even without interstellar travel or Von Newman Probes our largest radio
telescopes could communicate with a similar instrument almost anywhere in
the Galaxy. So why don't we hear ET?
That's an even more good question than "Why isn't ET here?"!

Of course, just as we observe light that was seeded 15 billion yrs
from the dawn of time shouldn't we also observe the sky to be teaming
with intelligent radio waves, be those waves as rare as one can
imagine considering the harsh conditions for intelligent life to

If you were observing the Earth by radio telescope from a nearby star you would be noticing that it has been getting quieter and quieter. It's wasteful to radiate signals out into space is all directions. As technology advances we communicate more efficiently using satellite repeaters with directional antennae. At the same time we make communications more secure against noise, interference, and eavesdropping by using spreadspectra so that the signal looks like noise if you don't know the code. We might well suppose that more advanced civilizations will be more advanced in these aspects also.

SETI people might have an answer for this but i doubt it's unbiased.