On 12/26/2011 7:15 AM, John Clark wrote:
On Mon, Dec 26, 2011  meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net
<mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

    "If you were observing the Earth by radio telescope from a nearby star you
would be
    noticing that it has been getting quieter and quieter."

I have to admit that is true and a big jump in that direction was made on June 12 2009. On that date all TV transmitters in the USA switched over from analog to digital. This will make things more difficult for a hypothetical ET to detect us for two reasons:

1) Digital transmitters use far less power than the analog variety.

2) A analog TV signal obviously came from a technological civilization, but if you don't know the particular compression codec used by digital broadcasters in the USA the signal would almost look like white noise. The compression is not perfect that's why I said "almost".

But in the overall scheme of things I think this entire point is small potatoes.

     "It's wasteful to radiate signals out into space is all directions."

But there are far far more wasteful things than that! If energy is so valuable why does ET let the energy from billions of suns in our galaxy radiate uselessly into empty space? If ET existed the night shy should look very different, there should be a Dyson Sphere around every star

I don't think Dyson spheres are possible. You seem to be hypothesizing an ET who is superhuman.

; no sun should emit visible light, or ultraviolet, or X ray or gamma rays; suns should only emit microwaves and maybe a little far infrared. But that's not what we see. So why doesn't the universe, or at least the galaxy, look like its been engineered? Either ET does not exist or he does but he's a lotus eater.

Or more likely he is just too far away and his species didn't last long enough. It seems doubtful whether our civilization will be able to get past oil depletion and global warming.