On Mon, Dec 26, 2011 at 4:56 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

> "What law of physics do they [ Dyson spheres] violate?"
>
> "Stability."

Professor Dyson certainly didn't think his spheres were unstable and he was
pretty smart, exactly where do you think he went wrong?

"We have the technology right now to build Thorium fission reactors that
> could give us far more energy than oil ever could."

  "But do we have the will?"

Not if environmentalists have their way, there solution is we all freeze in
the dark.

"But there's good reason to think that 3degC hotter would be a very bad
> thing"

There would certainly be big changes, but overall would it be a bad thing?
I'm not so sure, far more people freeze to death than die of heat stroke,
and anyway it will be a very long time before we see a massive 3 degree C
increase.

"and I don't think a Venusian runaway can be ruled out".

I think it can be ruled out. During the late Ordovician period, 450 million
years ago, there was a HUGE amount of CO2 in the atmosphere, about 4400 ppm
verses 380 today, and yet the world was in the grip of a severe ice age.
During the last 600 million years the atmosphere has almost always had far
more CO2 than now, abut 3000 ppm on average. The only exception was a
period that lasted from 315 million years ago to 270 where there was about
the same amount of CO2 as we have now. The temperature was about the same
then as it is now too. During the late Ordovician that I mentioned it was
much colder, but other than a few very brief ice ages during the last few
million years the temperature has always been warmer than now and
occasionally MUCH warmer; at least that's the way things have been during
the last 600 million years.

It's not surprising that environmentalists make exaggerated claims, it's
the way they stay employed. and without scare tactics many environmental
groups would be out of business.

  John K Clark