On 26 Dec 2011, at 20:49, meekerdb wrote:

On 12/26/2011 11:37 AM, David Nyman wrote:
On 26 December 2011 17:59, meekerdb<meeke...@verizon.net>  wrote:

Or a neutral monism in which they are different ways of organizing the same data - as quantum field theory can be done with either fields or particles.
Yes, perhaps, but then what precisely is the word "neutral" supposed
to signify here?  Can one distinguish it meaningfully from
"immaterial" (i.e. not material)?

You can distinguish computation from both material and consciousness.

At any rate, "organizing data" is
an implicit appeal to computation, so in so far as consciousness is
deemed to supervene on something, we still seem to be appealing to
some sort of computational organisation.  That said, another question
obtrudes: if we are to think in terms of two "different ways of
organizing the same data" - perhaps "physical" ways and "mental" ways
- can either be considered as taking logical precedence over the
other?

ISTM that in Bruno's schema, the "physical" computations are to be
seen as emerging from (or being filtered by) the "mental" ones.

He's often taken that way. But I think I now understand Bruno's idea that consciousness still supervenes on (some kind of) physics. It's just that neither is fundamental. They are both generated by computation.

Including self-reference, yes.

  Or
more precisely, the physical computations to which we have access (and which define us) as observers seem so to emerge; but both of these are
embedded within the much more extensive totality of computable
functions which are neither "physical" nor "mental".  Perhaps this is
indeed a neutral background, in something like the sense you intend.

Right.

OK. Mechanism leads to a neutral monism of numbers and computations (or just numbers+addition+multiplication), and physics + consciousness arise from the internal points of view of some (relative) universal numbers.

David