On 27 Dec 2011, at 13:59, David Nyman wrote:

On 27 December 2011 10:42, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

Of course, when consciousness is taken seriously into account, we can sense some incoherence, but empirically, this is the hard part to convey, and
without MGA/Maudlin, I have not been able to convince of the "frank
incoherence".

The "frank incoherence" comment was directed towards the case where,
rejecting any form of dualism, one grasps the "single primitive" horn
of the dilemma in the form of a primitively-physical monism, rather
than the  arithmetical alternative.  But for those willing to
contemplate some sort of property dualism (which is not always made
explicit), there is, as you say, no immediately obvious contradiction.

My own reasoning on this latter option has focused on the unquestioned
acceptance of  composite material structure which seems to underpin
the notion of a "primitively physical machine".  As you once put it
"ontological reduction entails ontological elimination".  IOW, the
reduction of "materiality" to a causally-complete micro-physical
"mechanism" automatically entails that macro-physical composites must
be considered fundamentally to be epistemological, not ontological,
realities. Micro-physics "qua materia" entails no such additional
ontological levels of organisation.

Consequently, it would have to be the case that any "physical
computer" (e.g. our brains), proposed as a supervenience base for
experience, would itself first require to be constructed out of
"epistemological properties" before it could begin to "compute"
anything further.  This should seem, to say the least, odd.  It might
even seem to be indistinguishable, in the final analysis, from
computational supervenience.

Computational supervenience of the mind on computation (by one universal machine) entails the supervenience of matter (first person observable) on infinities of computations (by infinities of universal machines).

The key point is perhaps that epistemological reduction: physics becomes a situation independent study of what universal number can observe, and the main invariant of that observation. Weak Materialist, believers in primitive matter, are really like vitalist, they reifer what they do not understand. I think we do that all the time in everyday life, but it has to be avoided as much as possible in the scientific communication.

Computationalism leads toward a "property dualism", or better a multi- modal realism (octalism), which correspond to *our* willingness to attribute points of view to sufficiently rich self-referential structures. Those happen to already inhabit elementary arithmetic, or some combinator algebra.

Bruno