On 12/30/2011 12:51 AM, Pierz wrote:
On Dec 30, 6:35 pm, meekerdb<meeke...@verizon.net>  wrote:
On 12/29/2011 4:11 PM, Pierz wrote:
You think it is ludicrous that a Mars Rover is programmed to monitor the state
of its
battery, the temperature of its motors, the amount of memory available for
pictures, etc?

Brent
<sigh>  Let's not go down that boringly overtrodden path, but agree to
disagree on what constitutes consciousness.

<sigh> The phrase was "internal perception" not "consciousness".

Brent

I disagree with David
Deutsch that we could run a conscious entity on our laptop computer if
we only understood consciousness better, but I agree with him that we
do *not* understand it, and the Turing test is a bad one. But, as I
stated in a remark to Bruno above, those who see no mind-body duality
problem in the first place will never be persuaded of its existence,
just as I will never be persuaded that wiring a sensor in the Mars
Rover makes the machine conscious of its environment.