On 12/30/2011 12:41 PM, John Clark wrote:
Yes it makes a lot of sense, but why did Evolution invent consciousness? Evolution can see intelligence but it can no more see consciousness than we can (other than our own) because it is a purely subjective phenomena, and yet I know for a fact that Evolution came us with consciousness at least once and probably many billions of times, so the conclusion is inescapable. Either Darwin was wrong or consciousness is a byproduct of intelligence. I don't think Darwin was wrong.

I assume you're familiar with the theory of consciousness put forward by Julian Jaynes. It would imply that consciousness as we experience it, an inner narrative, is an accident of evolutionary development. Imagination and ratiocination are forms of internal perception because evolution adapted structures that developed for external perception. So it might be possible to create AI that was intelligent but not conscious in this same way by having separate modules for seeing and for visual imagination for example. We would suppose it was conscious in some way because it acts intelligently, but it would seem impossible to say exactly how its consciousness was different.