On 12/31/2011 3:29 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
As I've said we're on the same team with regards to primitive
materialism. But I have sympathy for the materialists on this issue of
instantiation. After all, we need computers still, we can't rely on
the arithmetical platonia to predict the weather for us.

Again, we need brain, bodies and computer to optimize the probability of staying in the branch we share at our substitution level. And if the argument is correct, the weather and you are already in Platonia. The local relative body is needed to not jump too quickly in alternate consciousness/realities.

When you write things like that I'm left with the impression that you think one's consciousness is a thing, a soul, that moves to different bundles of computation so there are some bundles that don't have any consciousness but could have if you "jumped to them".