On 12/31/2011 5:49 AM, Evgenii Rudnyi wrote:
On 31.12.2011 09:17 Pierz said the following:

On Dec 31, 6:17 pm, meekerdb<meeke...@verizon.net>  wrote:
On 12/30/2011 12:51 AM, Pierz wrote:

On Dec 30, 6:35 pm, meekerdb<meeke...@verizon.net>    wrote:
On 12/29/2011 4:11 PM, Pierz wrote: You think it is ludicrous
that a Mars Rover is programmed to monitor the state of its
battery, the temperature of its motors, the amount of memory
available for pictures, etc?

Brent
<sigh>    Let's not go down that boringly overtrodden path, but
agree to disagree on what constitutes consciousness.

<sigh>  The phrase was "internal perception" not "consciousness".

Well usually the term 'perception' entails consciousness. If you
mean that you ate try indifferent as to whether the machine is
conscious, well OK. I see something deeper in the consciousness
problem.

I would agree. When AI people use the word "perception" to describe a sensor connected to a computer, in my view they loose the biggest part of the meaning. A human being perceives also unconsciously and this part of perception could be similar to what we find in Mars Rover but on the other hand a human being has conscious experiences. This part is completely missing in AI.

Completely!? How do you know that? The Mars Rover doesn't just record a sensor value in its computer, it also remember the value and at a later time it may act on that value in combination with other values, some internal and some external, to which it assigns different levels of importance based on overall mission goals. Exactly what would have to be added to make the Rover human-like conscious?

I think it would be recording a kind of general historical narrative which it would draw on as a source of information used in planning future actions by means of an internal simulation of itself and the local environment. I think that would also make it what Bruno calls a Lobian machine.

Brent

Evgenii