On Sat, Dec 31, 2011 at 2:27 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

> while a brain is an organ of intelligence/consciousness it needs a body

Information needs to be embodied in atoms if that information is to evolve
and without change there is no mind; but atoms are generic, there are no
scratches on them to give them individuality so one atom of hydrogen is as
good as another as far as information is concerned.

> and an environment in which to perceive and act in order to be
> intelligent/conscious.

And the environment the mind perceives can be made of atoms, or it can be a
virtual environment and if it was good enough the mind could not tell the
difference. Indeed some say (I'm a agnostic on the issue) that we already
live in a computer simulation and seeing the quantum nature of matter if we
look closely enough is like looking too close to a TV and seeing the
individual pixels. And Black Holes are a mistake where the God/Programer
tried to divide by zero.

I'm not saying anything like that is true and I'm not saying it's not, but
it might make a good science fiction story.

 John K Clark