On 2 January 2012 18:56, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

> You mean "confused" or "confounded"...not "elided"?

Elided: past participle, past tense of elide (Verb): Join together;
merge: "the two things elided in his mind".

>> If consciousness were simply timelessly identical with some
>> supervenience base, there would be no such distinction to be made.
>> But if that were the case "time " would never be "inferred", or to put
>> it more simply, nothing would ever happen.
>
> You seem to be saying that time must be inherent in the 3p base, otherwise
> it could not be inferred.  But why can't time be inferred from any ordered
> sequence.  That's the theory frequently put forward here.  Numbers are
> timeless, but they are well ordered.  Frames of a movie film exist all at
> once, but they have an implicit order.

No, that wasn't my point.  I agree that time "can be inferred" from an
ordered sequence, for example a coexistent ordered sequence of 3-p
states. But the 1-p observation, on which the relevant notion of
"inference" depends, supervenes on - without being identical with -
only a restricted *selection* from the 3-p ensemble.  Moreover,
selection in this 1-p sense - as in "what is exclusively present at
any moment to a conscious observer" - must be distinguished from a
weaker sense which we use merely to isolate, in principle, specific
members of a 3-p ensemble.  Unless, that is, we mean to say that
specific conscious moments, as experienced 1-personally, are uniquely
present only "in principle".

ISTM inevitable that, short of outright denial of the singularly
present and selective nature of all 1-p experiences, contextualised by
a "history" of successive such moments, we are led to the intuition
that there is something else at work here, though what it is cannot
perhaps be captured more precisely than Bruno's hmm...

David