On 1/11/2012 19:22, Stephen P. King wrote:
Hi,

I have a question. Does not the Tennenbaum Theorem prevent the concept
of first person plural from having a coherent meaning, since it seems to
makes PA unique and singular? In other words, how can multiple copies of
PA generate a plurality of first person since they would be an
equivalence class. It seems to me that the concept of plurality of 1p
requires a 3p to be coherent, but how does a 3p exist unless it is a 1p
in the PA sense?

Onward!

Stephen

My understanding of 1p plural is merely many 1p's sharing an apparent 3p world. That 3p world may or may not be globally coherent (it is most certainly locally coherent), and may or may not be computable, typically I imagine it as being locally computed by an infinity of TMs, from the 1p. At least one coherent 3p foundation exists as the UD, but that's something very different from the universe a structural realist would believe in (for example, 'this universe', or the MWI multiverse). So a coherent 3p foundation always exists, possibly an infinity of them. The parts (or even the whole) of the 3p foundation should be found within the UD.

As for PA's consciousness, I don't know, maybe Bruno can say a lot more about this. My understanding of consciousness in Bruno's theory is that an OM(Observer Moment) corresponds to a Sigma-1 sentence. I think you might be confusing structures/relations which can be contained within PA with PA itself.