On 1/13/2012 8:30 AM, John Clark wrote:

We can even ascribe it [consciousness] a role (explaining its
Darwinian advantage)

There is no way consciousness can have a direct Darwinian advantage
so it must be a byproduct of something that does have that virtue,
and the obvious candidate is intelligence.

That's not so clear since we don't know exactly what is the relation
of consciousness to intelligence. For a social animal having an
internal model of ones self and being able to model the thought
processes of others has obvious reproductive advantage.

Brent O would some power the giftie gie us to see ourselves as others
see us. --- Robert Burns

In my favorite book on consciousness (by Jeffrey Gray) there is chapter 7 "A survival value for consciousness" that is summarized on p. 90:

"Whatever consciousness is, it is too important to be a mere accidental by-product of other biological forces. A strong reason to suppose that conscious experience has survival value in this. It is only by appealing to evolutionary selection pressures that we can explain the good fit that exists between our perception of the world and our actions in dealing with it, or between my perceptions and yours. Biological characteristics that are not under strong selection pressure show random drift which would be expected to destroy the fit. I assume, therefore, that consciousness has a survival value on its own right. That rules out epiphenomenalism, but leaves us with a problem of identifying the casual effect of consciousness in its own right."

By the way in the Gray's book the term intelligence is not even in the index. This was the biggest surprise for me because I always thought that consciousness and intelligence are related. Yet, after reading the book, I agree now with the author that conscious experience is a separate phenomenon.

Well, if to speak about evolution in general, then another quote from the book has stroked me:

"For the good fit between conscious experience and outside reality, the idealist philosopher Berkley called in God. In this more materialist age, it is Evolution that we must thank."

Evgenii
--
http://blog.rudnyi.ru