On 1/14/2012 10:41 AM, Stephen P. King wrote:
I suppose that that is the case, but how do mathematical entities implement themselves other than via physical processes? We seem to be thinking that this is a solvable "Chicken and Egg" problem and I argue that we cannot use the argument of reduction to solve it. We must have both the physical and the mental, not at the primitive level of existence to be sure, but at the level where they have meaning.

Suppose there are characters in a computer game that have very sophisticated AI. Don't events in the game have meaning for them? The meaning is implicit in the actions and reactions.

Brent

This is why I argue for a form of dualism that transforms into a neutral monism, like that of Russel, when taken to the level of ding and sich. At teh level of ding and sich difference itself vanishes and thus to argue that matter or number is primitive is a mute point. We must be careful that we are not collapsing the levels in our thinking about this.