On Sat, Jan 14, 2012 at 1:56 PM, Stephen P. King <stephe...@charter.net>wrote:

> > How would you generalize the Turing Test for consciousness?
> By doing the exact same thing we do when we evaluate our fellow human
beings, assume that there is a direct link between intelligent behavior and
consciousness. When one of our fellow creatures is drowsy they don't behave
very intelligently and we assume they are less conscious than they were
when they where taking a calculus exam. And when they are in a deep sleep,
under  anesthesia, or dead they behave even less intelligently and we
assume (even though there is no proof) that their consciousness is
similarly effected.

 John K Clark