>Arithmetic itself can admit many interpretation and axioms tell you what
'>arithmetic' isn't and what theorems must follow, not what it is

I don't see that. I mean, sure you can't say what a number 'is' beyond
a certain point, but everything falters on a certain circularity at
some point. With maths we don't have to ask what it is beyond what it
is defined as being, and my argument is that adding qualia into it is
adding something outside its own internal logic, when maths is, purely
and entirely, exactly that logic.

>can you explain to me what a number is without appealing to a model or
>interpretation?

Can you explain what anything is, indeed can you speak or think at all
without appealing to a model or interpretation?

> Attributing consciousness to
>(undefinable) arithmetical truth appears to me like a better theory than
>attributing it to some uncomputable God-of-the-gaps physical magic

I associate the term 'god of the gaps' with theological arguments
based on incomplete scientific theories/knowledge. We aren't arguing
about God but about consciousness. Also, there's an ambiguity to what
you mean by 'uncomputable' here. We are talking about qualia which one
can't describe as uncomputable in a mathematical sense, but perhaps
better as 'unmathematical', not subject to mathematical treatment at
all.  Qualia are 'uncomputable' in  this sense also in an arithmetical
ontology in that nobody could ever 'predict' a quale, just as nobody
can ever describe one, except by fallible analogies.  As for the
'magic' in the physics, the magic is *somewhere*, like it or not.
There is no explanation in mathematics for why numbers should have a
quality of feeling built into them. I don't like material
epiphenomenalism either, and increasingly I am finding Bruno's movie
graph argument convincing, but more as an argument against comp than
as proof that mind is a property of arithmetic.

>although some philosophers do just that (like Dennett),

Jaron Lanier argues (jokingly) in 'You are not a gadget' that you can
only tell zombies by their philosophy, and that clearly therefore
Dennet is a philosophical zombie...

>and that you admit a digital substitution

Yep, I think that's where the philosophical rot begins. The assumption
is that the consciousness is inside the circuits - be it their logical
or their physical arrangement. Near death experiences are an argument
against that proposition. (I say that knowing full well I'm about to
get stomped by the materialists for it.) Another thought that makes me
wonder about computationalism is the experience of pure consciousness
that many people in deep meditation have reported - a state of mind
without computation, if real, would constitute an experiential
refutation of comp. I have experienced something like this myself,
alas not as a result of years of meditation, but when I passed out at
the chemist with the flu while waiting for a prescription! It was so
terribly disappointing to return to the 'thousand shocks that flesh is
heir to'. This does not make me a secret or not-so-secret theist BTW.
Unfortunately that whole ridiculously simplistic  debate has blinded
us to the infinite possible ways the world might be in between having
been created by a guy with a beard and being a meaningless tornado of
particles of stuff.