On Jan 30, 4:02 pm, Terren Suydam <terren.suy...@gmail.com> wrote:
> OK, great, we're on the same page.
>
> Now my next question is, why can't a synthetic organism (like one made
> of silicon that you have allowed may be alive, given the proper
> organization) have subjective experience?

I think it does have a subjective experience, just probably a very
limited one. If you can get a synthetic organism to grow out of
silicon and write it's own program like a human cell does, then it's
subjective experience will reflect that. If you just make a silicon
machine, that has no idea what kinds of symbolic intentions are being
projected onto it's one dimensional subjectivity, then you have a
clever design of a microelectronic puppet.

> Again with the usual
> reminders that carbon-based and silicon-based life forms would both be
> subject to identical electromagnetic/nuclear/gravitational forces.

If they were subject to identical forces then they would be identical.
They aren't. This doesn't even get into my view that forces are
behaviors of matter and not disembodied metaphysical principles. If
I'm right, ALL forces (experienced changes over time) are
interphysical.

Craig