On 08 Feb 2012, at 17:27, John Clark wrote:

On Wed, Feb 8, 2012  <peterdjo...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Since it is predictable, it is deterministic

Yes.

> since it is determiniistic it is no free.

Cannot comment because your definition of free will was nonsensical and the problem seems to be more with the "free" part than the "will" part. I have no problem with "will", it's a perfectly clear concept, but whenever somebody hooks it up with the F word things turn into gibberish.

With the exception of freedom, I do think that the prefix "free" might be a gibberish prefix, like in free-will, free-market, free-mason, free-exam, free-speech, etc. It often call for the kind of good intentions which pave the hell, and leads to much less freedom.

But free-will is often just meaning will, in some context of freedom. It is a generalization of responsibility.

I guess you understand the difference between a premeditated crime and an non premeditated crime. A lawyer cannot defend someone accused of a premeditated crime by arguing that his client was just obeying to the physical laws. That would be a confusion of level, and in fine, an elimination of the person, and of person's right.

Free-will is when we are conscious of making decision without complete information. I basically think that all animals have some amount of free-will, but higher animals can be tormented by it, like with conflictual pulses. I said once that human free-will is the ability to start smoking, and the ability to stop smoking.