Hi Folks,

I have been mulling over my conversations with Bruno, Joseph and ACW in the EVERYTHING list and have a question. In SANE04 we read the following:

"For any given precise running computation associated to some inner experience, you can modify the device in such a way that the amount of physical activity involved is arbitrarily low, and even null for dreaming experience which has no inputs and no outputs. Now, having suppressed that physical activity present in the running computation, the machine will only be accidentally correct. It will be correct only for that precise computation, with unchanged environment. If it is changed a little bit, it will make the machine running computation no more relatively correct. But then, Maudlin ingenuously showed that counterfactual correctness can be recovered, by adding non active devices which will be triggered only if some (counterfactual) change would appear in the environment. Now this shows that any inner experience can be associated with an arbitrary low (even null) physical activity, and this in keeping counterfactual correctness. And that is absurd with the
conjunction of both comp and materialism."

Setting aside the problem of concurrency for now, how is it that we are jumping over the difference between infinitely slow or even "adiabatic <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adiabatic_process>" physical process and "null" physical process?

I may be not even wrong here, but in math isn't it true that there is a big difference between a quantity being arbitrarily small and a quantity being zero? I suspect that the folks in FOAR List that have been discussing information and entropy might have a thought on this.

Onward!

Stephen