On 2/19/2012 5:08 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote:
On Feb 19, 2:19 pm, 1Z<peterdjo...@yahoo.com>  wrote:

It is with some trepidation that I enter into this discussion, but I would
like to suggest that if MWI is true, where MWI is the Many Worlds
Interpretation of quantum mechanics, which is where every quantum state in
every particle interaction is realized in one parallel world/universe or
another, then there is no need for a god.
Why not? There could an infinite number of the Many Worlds with all
kinds of Gods.

QM based MWI woildn't suggest that the supernatural occurs in any
universe. Are you familiar with Tegmark's classification?
Why would Gods be supernatural? If comp is true, then when we create
AI beings over which we will have power to stop, start, and reprogram
their minds as well as their perceived universes, who will we be to
them other than Gods? Computationalism says that we have no way of
knowing that has not happened yet and MWI (and Tegmark's Level 3
classification) demands that this is inevitable in some universes.

In a scenario of infinite universes, how can any possibility be said
to be supernatural?

In MWI the infinite universes all still the same physics and so the same statistics. No event can be *known* to be supernatural; but a very improbable event is still very improbable.

Our idea of quantum could simply be the virtual
quantum of the simulation furnished to us by our programmers...who
appear to us as arithmetic Gods because they wish to.

And you could be a simulation of a brain in a vat that has just fluctuated into existence as a Boltzmann brain. This is different from a universe in a multiverse. It is also cognitively unstable; i.e. there is no way to act as if it's true.

Brent

Craig