On 2/21/2012 11:45 AM, meekerdb wrote:
On 2/21/2012 5:43 AM, Stephen P. King wrote:

I think that you are missing a point here. COMP is showing us how there is no inherent bias on what we can believe ourselves to be, thus it is throwing open the options. This is a good with with regards to Free Will for without the multiplicity of options or alternatives there is no choice.

Options implies one-or-the-other. All the theories based on COMP and MWI assume there is no choice and everything happens.

Brent

Hi Brent,

Your assertion is true but irrelevant because the agency aspect of choice does not span all of the "happenings" simultaneously. We have a notion of free will because we cannot be conscious of all the superposed possibilities. The point is that we can conveive multiple possibility from which we can imagine making a choice. Ben Goertzel's paper, found here <http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=%22hyperset+models+of+self%2C+Will+and+Reflective+consciousness%22&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCEQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fgoertzel.org%2Fconsciousness%2Fconsciousness_paper.pdf&ei=t-NDT4m_O5CUtwft1tyaBQ&usg=AFQjCNGPbt16jLOtezl_8Cg0vfBxcOYdhw&cad=rja>, explains this quite well IMHO.

Onward!

Stephen